I was born and raised in Texas, and Brian’s been here most of his life. As the good Texans that we are, we’ve fully embraced a love of TexMex & Mexican food. At least once or twice a week we typically have fajitas, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas… you get my drift.
It only makes sense, then, that our very favorite soup to make is this spicy chicken taco soup. It’s so good that we eat leftovers for days and actually look forward to it. Seriously. You know that’s a rare thing.
You’ll love how easy this soup is to make, too – it’s a slow cooker recipe (although I’ve made it on the stovetop plenty of times when we’re home all day) and it takes all of 5 minutes to get all the ingredients together, so I love making it in the mornings before we head out to work. And at the end of a long day, it’s lovely walking in the house to the smell of this simmering and ready to eat.
We like to serve it over white rice, but it’s perfectly delicious on its own. Cilantro and grated cheddar cheese are our garnishes of choice, but you can also add in sour cream, raw diced onion, sliced avocado, or crumbled tortilla chips. When we make the chicken taco soup for company we like to set out all the fixings so people can choose what they’d like.
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans
- 1 28 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 16 oz. chicken broth
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 6 chicken tenderloins (can be frozen or thawed)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In your slow cooker or in a large stock pot, mix together onion, beans, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Add taco seasoning, either store-bought or the spices mentioned above, and mix well.
- Submerge all chicken pieces into the liquid, making sure they're fully covered.
- Cook on low for at least 5 hours; ours generally ends up cooking for 9-10 hours while we're at work during the day.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken within the slow cooker vessel, then mix the chicken back in to the soup.
- For garnish, serve with any of these favorites: cilantro, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, white rice, or avocado slices.