They say everything’s better with bacon, so when I first tried my good friend Kristi’s broccoli salad I thought this might finally be a way for me to enjoy eating raw broccoli.
I was right – this salad is delicious, and I went back for seconds.
The broccoli has a great crunch to it, but is ever so slightly more tender thanks to the creamy dressing. The red onion adds another element of crispness to the mix; the saltiness of the bacon and the tart burst of flavor from the cranberries really make this a home run. It’s unlike any salad I’d had before, but I can promise I’ll be having it many times in the future!
When we had the broccoli salad most recently, Kristi & her husband Patrick paired it with steaks and corn on the cob straight from the grill, but it could stand alone as an entree of its own. Either way, you’re going to gain a whole new love of broccoli once you give this a try.
- 6 cups of broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- ½ package of bacon, cooked and diced
- ½ a red onion, diced
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- Combine the broccoli, bacon, onion, sunflower seeds, and cranberries in a large salad bowl. Toss until everything is well mixed.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar until the mixture is creamy.
- Pour one half of the dressing over the salad and toss until everything is well coated. Add the remaining dressing as desired until the salad is as dressed as you prefer.
- Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 1-2 hours prior to serving.